Friday, September 15, 2017

For Compassionate's Sake

   I left by plane on September 12th and arrived in Hannover on the 13th. I just had to make this unplanned flight. My 96 year old auntie was ready to pass on. Her wish was just that and I needed to see her and hold her hand and stroke her forhead as she had done for me many years ago wben I was seven and in her care while my parents had left to forge out a new life for us in Canada. Auntie took me to many places including school back in the 50's. She is my Mother's sister, Ursula.
  Today she lies semi concious in her apartment. It is her wish to pass on there. She no longer wants to eat or drink. She wants to move on but it takes time before her body will shut down.
   In a couple of hours I'll go back into her flat to sit and hold her hand while classical music floats around us from the radio. I might talk a bit about out days spent together. It is what I care to do for both of us. I 'm in a guest flat close by.

From my chair beside her this is the view. There are some plants on the window sill that daughter and I gave her 17 years ago when I brought  her to meet her great auntie. Tomorrow daughter will arrive from UK with baby who will meet great great auntie. That is family life. We come together for compassionate's sake. 
We love her. 
Buddy too.

5 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do. I'm sure it will bring you as much comfort as her. Bless you.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So hard! I am so very sorry!!!It is so good that you could go and be with her!

Linda Reeder said...

Peace be with you all.

Linda said...

Bless your heart, Heidi! This is such a touching post. I wish you comfort and peace.

Joyful said...

It is a loving gesture from your family to your aunt. I'm sure she appreciated it so much that you were with her in her last moments here. I am sure you also appreciated being able to hold her hand and show her love. xx